Take your plot and print it to scale
Rapidly convert your lights to truss tape and simplify your entire load-in and pre-production flow.
We've been rapidly developing new features after interest at LDI
- Truss Tape
- Create a tape per Cord (Use for theatre battens)
- Create a Tape per position
- Compatible with Vectorworks 2018 and 2019
- Comes with default symbols for both types of truss tape (Per cord and per position)
- Complete customization with the introduction of Symbol Swap
- Default symbols are customizable based on your needs, using Label Legend Manager and 2D Symbol Editing.
- Lightning Tools that are useful in any Vectorworks File!
Why Should I Use Lightning Tapes?
Shows lighting location accurately, at a fraction of the time for pre production.
- Customize symbols to show information from lights, scenic items, motor points, cable runs, soco breakout locations... Lightning Tapes is flexible enough to take on any task.
- Significantly less chance for error when making your truss tapes.
- Touring? Print and laminate your tapes for a durable and reusable solution. You can also write on the laminated tape with sharpie in venues where your original plot may need to adapt, or print a new set of tapes and throw them away after the load in. Truss tape paper is cheap
Who Should Use Lightning Tapes?
- Anyone with a need to speed up their pre-production workflow
- Master Electricians who use Vectorworks, but are stuck prepping truss tapes by hand
- Lighting Designers pulling double-duty as Master Electricians
- Riggers who want to print tapes to show where motor points should drop on each truss position
How Lightning Tapes Started
At first, it was just a tool to make our jobs easier.
We were looking for a solution to speed up load-in time, but we didn't have the time or budgets to order pre-production tapes. We've been developing and using Lightning Tapes for the last 2 years on all of our shows. Every show we used it, we found more and more interest in it.
Several great features coming soon:
- Curved Truss Support
- Enhance Label Support
Q: I am having an error registering Lightning Tapes
Check to make sure the serial number you entered when you purchased matches your VW License. If not, please send a screen shot of your serial number to [email protected] with your full name so we can update our records.
Q: What printer should I use?
Currently, we recommend and support the Epson TM-T20ii thermal receipt printer. It is the only truly accurate printer using specified settings in our recent tests.
Q: What type of paper can you print on?
Thermal printers work with thermal paper. Rolls are 230’ so it is very efficient for long trusses. For durability, you can use a cold roll laminator to laminate your tapes. We find the Scotch LS950 works well for the purpose.
Q: Will Lightning Tapes work with other receipt printers?
Yes, but we can not guarantee that the truss tape will be accurate. We only recommend the Epson TM-T20ii for now.
Q: How do I cancel my subscription?
We hope you'll stick around, but if you'd like to cancel your subscription, please contact [email protected] to request a cancellation. Please allow up to 48 hours for a response; we'll be sure to get back to you.
I've used the Lightning Tapes plugin on my last 6 shows. Lightning Tapes saved me 55 man hours on the first show alone. I can't see myself doing truss tapes by hand ever again!