Take your plot and print it to scale
Rapidly convert your lights to truss tape and simplify your entire load-in and pre-production flow.
We've been rapidly developing new features after interest at LDI
- Truss Tape
- Create a tape per Cord (Use for theatre battens)
- Create a Tape per position
- Compatible with Vectorworks 2019 and 2020
- Comes with default symbols for both types of truss tape (Per cord and per position)
- Complete customization with the introduction of Symbol Swap
- Default symbols are customizable based on your needs, using Label Legend Manager and 2D Symbol Editing.
- Lightning Tools that are useful in any Vectorworks File!
Why Should I Use Lightning Tapes?
Shows lighting location accurately, at a fraction of the time for pre production.
- Customize symbols to show information from lights, scenic items, motor points, cable runs, soco breakout locations... Lightning Tapes is flexible enough to take on any task.
- Significantly less chance for error when making your truss tapes.
- Touring? Print and laminate your tapes for a durable and reusable solution. You can also write on the laminated tape with sharpie in venues where your original plot may need to adapt, or print a new set of tapes and throw them away after the load in. Truss tape paper is cheap
Who Should Use Lightning Tapes?
- Anyone with a need to speed up their pre-production workflow
- Master Electricians who use Vectorworks, but are stuck prepping truss tapes by hand
- Lighting Designers pulling double-duty as Master Electricians
- Riggers who want to print tapes to show where motor points should drop on each truss position
How Lightning Tapes Started
At first, it was just a tool to make our jobs easier.
We were looking for a solution to speed up load-in time, but we didn't have the time or budgets to order pre-production tapes. We've been developing and using Lightning Tapes for the last 2 years on all of our shows. Every show we used it, we found more and more interest in it.
Several great features coming soon:
- Curved Truss Support
- Enhance Label Support
Q: I am having an error registering Lightning Tapes
Check to make sure the serial number you entered when you purchased matches your VW License. If not, please send a screen shot of your serial number to [email protected] with your full name so we can update our records.
Q: What printer should I use?
Currently, we recommend and support the Epson TM-T20ii thermal receipt printer. It is the only truly accurate printer using specified settings in our recent tests.
Q: What type of paper can you print on?
Thermal printers work with thermal paper. Rolls are 230’ so it is very efficient for long trusses. For durability, you can use a cold roll laminator to laminate your tapes. We find the Scotch LS950 works well for the purpose.
Q: Will Lightning Tapes work with other receipt printers?
Yes, but we can not guarantee that the truss tape will be accurate. We only recommend the Epson TM-T20ii for now.
Q: How do I cancel my subscription?
We hope you'll stick around, but if you'd like to cancel your subscription, please contact [email protected] to request a cancellation. Please allow up to 48 hours for a response; we'll be sure to get back to you.
Lightning tapes helped me recreate my rig on the beach with 20" truss and locally rented gear assembled on site, rather than my normal three day shop prep to pre-rig truss. Lifesaver!